Publications by UNRWA Public Information Office
UNRWA Public Information Office in Vienna produces a catalogue of their
publications, under the headings of "Regular", "Specialist",
and "Occasional" publications. These different documents describe
UNRWA and its work from a variety of perspectives, and are available from
UNRWA Public Information Office. Several of the publications come in languages
other than English as well. They publications are the following:
- "UNRWA": an edited and illustrated version of the UNRWA Commissioner
General's Annual Report to the United Nations General Assembly.
- "UNRWA Accounts - a Summary"
- "Guide to UNRWA": a booklet describing UNRWA's organization
and its Field operations.
- "UNRWA in Figures": a Consolidated fact sheet on UNRWA.
- "Field Fact Sheets": five sheets which contain basic statistical
and financial data about the Field and UNRWA's operations.
- "Map": which shows UNRWA's Area of operations with refugee
- "Palestine Refugees Today": Illustrated magazine covering
developments in the refugee community. Contains human-interest stories and
photo essays from the area of UNRWA operations.
- "UNRWA news": regular newsletter on current events in the
area of operations, including UNRWA activities and staff news.
- "Annual Report of the Commissioner-General to the General Assembly"
- "Financial Addendum to the Annual Report of the Commissioner-General"
- "Statistical Yearbook UNRWA Department of Education"
- "Annual Report of the Department of Health"
- "UNRWA: an Investment in People": a booklet describing UNRWA's
main programmes, including a brief historical background and photographs.
- "Update": Update of UNRWA activities in context of wider political
background affecting Palestine refugees.
- "UNRWA's 40 years": a paperback embodying extracts from published
materials, charts on UNRWA finance and its special programmes in Lebanon
and the Occupied Territory of the West bank and Gaza, altogether presenting
an account of the origin of UNRWA and the development of its services over
the four decades.
- "UNRWA and NGOs": an account of UNRWA 's co-operation with
non-governmental organizations in all five Fields of operation in education,
health, relief and social services, on family and environmental issues and
in special projects for women32.
The two Annual Reports and the Education Statistical Yearbook are particularly
informative (See Appendices 2, 3, and 4). The UNRWA General Fact Sheet33
contains information on the following for each of the five Fields:
- Country area in square kilometres
- Country population (CP)
- Registered refugees (RR)
- RR average annual growth (%)
- RR as % of CP
- RR as % of total RR
- Existing camps
- RR in camps (RRCs)
- RRCs as % of RR
- Teaching staff
- Pupils enrolment
- Female pupils (%)
- Cost per elementary pupil (in $)
- Cost per preparatory pupil (in $)
- Training centres
- Vocational training places
- Teacher training places
- In-service teacher training
- University scholarships
- Health Centres/Units
- Dental Clinics
- Family planning clinics
- Diabetes care clinics
- Annual patients visits
- In-door water supply in camps
- Sewered shelters in camps
- Special Hardship Cases (SHC)
- SHCs as % of RR
- Women's programme centres
- Community rehabilitation centres (CRCs)
- Self-support projects
- Income-generation loans (No.)
- Income-generation loans ($)
- Area staff (posts)
- International staff (posts)
- Regular budget ($000)
- Relief and Social Services
- Operational services
- Common services
- Total regular budget
- Extraordinary Measures in Lebanon and the Occupied Territory (EMLOT)
- GNP per capita ($)
- Unemployment % (estimates)
- Illiteracy %: 15 years+ (separate estimates for men and women)
- Infant mortality/1.000 (estimates)
UNRWA has also prepared "Camp Presentations": overviews of each
of its refugee camps, obtainable upon request. These present:
- short history of the camp, such as when it was established
- geographical background and number of its original inhabitants
- location and area of camp (in square meters)
- number of shelters
- number of Special Hardship Cases
- number of UNRWA installations, such as schools, health centres, women's
programme centres, youth activities centre
- number of UNRWA staff
- number of pupils in schools
- provision of public facilities such as water, electricity, sewage network,
At Field level, UNRWA also produces the "West Bank and Gaza Strip Field
Report" which is published in Gaza. In addition, the various departments
within UNRWA produces several statistical and other bulletins for internal
32.) Also available are posters that depict themes about Palestine refugees
and UNRWA. Two leaflets, one called "Leaflet on Palestinian Dresses" on
Palestinian dresses and their origin, and one called "Palestine refugees and
UNRWA". Further; "Basic facts about UNRWA" and the forthcoming "UNRWA and the
enviroment" and "UNRWA«s Peace Implementation Programme", as well as
"Press Releseas" issued on matters of significance as they occur.
33.) The General Fact Sheet is published by the Programme Planning Office. It
lists its sources for each topic.