- He was born in Sierra Leone, Africa in 1938.
- He completed his primary & intermediate studies in the South of Lebanon
then continued his secondary studies in Beirut at the "Sagesse" &
- He graduated top of his class with a Law Degree from the Lebanese
University in 1963 ; then he applied for a D.E.S. at the "Faculte de droit de
- He then joined the Students' movement and the University's Federation movement. He later became President of the National Federation of Lebanese Students (UNUL). While a student, he
participated in numerous university and political seminars.
- In 1963, he became a lawyer at the " Court of Appeals" in Beirut.
- He then joined the struggle at the side of Imam Moussa Al-Sadr in favor of the displaced; with the resistance against
Israeli aggressions in the occupied South.
- In 1984, he was elected at the head of the Amal Movement of which he remains president until today.
- From 1984 till now he has held the following positions successively: Minister of Justice, Minister of Hydraulic &
Electric Resources, Minister of the Affairs for the South & Reconstruction, Minister of Housing & Cooperatives, and
- During the legislative elections of September 6, 1992 at the head of the" Liberation of the South Movement"; he was
elected President of the National Assembly on November 20, 1992.
- On September 8, 1996 he won the legislative elections at the head of the "Liberation & Development" list. He was
reelected president of the National Assembly on October 22, 1996.
(from The Lebanese Parliament Website)