Notes on usage:
- Click on the text "المشرق ❊ the levant" in the upper left corner
of any page to go back.
- On pages with single pictures, clicking on the picture will
bring up a larger version that can be magnified.
- Clicking on pictures with the caption "(QTVR panorama)" will
bring up a full page interactive Quick Time panorama if the Quick
Time plug-in (which can be obtained at no cost here) is installed.
- My thanks to Ali Mneimneh for all his help and patience in
exploring the Beirut-Riyaq and Beirut-Tripoli lines.
- The Continental Railway Circle has graciously allowed
the reproduction of two chapters from Hugh Hughes' Middle East
- Our thanks to General Elias Ghazali of the Syrian Army for permission to
photograph at Riyaq in 2002.
- Toufoul Abou-Hodeib has kindly researched and translated the
Arabic resources and contributed photographs from our explorations in the Beqaa.
- Unless otherwise mentioned all photographs are by Børre Ludvigsen.
- Børre Ludvigsen