MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Telefax from the Foreign Minister’s office
To: Fax No. 095-216-1-787-174 to Abu Ala
From Foreign Minister Johan Jørgen Holst
Date: September 6, 1993
Urgent – Please convey without delay
- As agreed I am forwarding the following:
- Outline of the report
which I made to you and Abu Ammar on the telephone September 4,
- A personal letter to Abu Ammar from me which I ask you
to deliver to him.
- The new draft of the “7 points” letter
following my conversation with both parties tonight.
- The new
draft letter on Palestinian institutions in East Jerusalem.
- You should observe that I have to stay within the mandate which
is to facilitate, communicate, explain and analyse the position
of the parties. I have not been asked to mediate.
- I have attempted to make suggestions concerning the outstanding
issues in the “7 points” letter, they comprise the major issues
as I understand it.
- The letter on the Palestinian institutions requires some
- I have obtained Israeli acceptance to dropping the two
introductory paragraphs of the pervious draft referring to
Norway’s support of the institutions in question.
- I have obtained Israeli acceptance of breaking the letter
into the operative paragraphs.
- The Israelis have accepted to change “Arab population” to
“Palestinian population” in the penultimate paragraph. I
have conducted lengthy conversations to explore their
position. They are not ready or willing to go beyond the
provisions in the DOP, arguing that the side letter must not
be written in a manner which appears to modify or extend the
provisions in the DOP. Hence, they refuse to include
references to the holy places recalling that you objected to
including in the DOP commitments to safeguard access to holy
places. By the same logic explicit reference to pending
negotiations is not acceptable to the Israelis. It is my
judgment that there is a little or no flexibility on this
- We are now in the end game phase and time is running out. The
American administration is fixed on having the signing ceremony
in the White House next Monday (September 13th) They are
consulting the Congressional leadership on Tuesday September
7th. Therefor they need an agreement on the “7 points” letter
before then in order to obtain consent to inviting the PLO to
participate in the White House ceremony (and to sign the DOP) If
you cannot agree by September 7th, Israel and the United States
consider that the DOP must be signed by the heads of delegations
to the Washington talks.
- I stand ready to come to Tunis on Tuesday to obtain the
signature on the “7 points” letter and to mark the splendid and
courageous participations of the PLO in bringing peace to the
Middle East. You will appreciate that I cannot come to continue
negotiations. They have to be effectively concluded by
tomorrow. I need your early confirmation of such arrangements.
- I shall look forward to today on or about 1400 hrs. in response
to the drafts under discussions. I have informed the Israelis
about this schedule. I shall be happy to communicate your
positions and agreements expeditiously, faithfully and with full
explanation which you will provide. I am always at your disposal
in this truly historical endeavor.
Johan Jørgen Holst