The Great 'Ummayad Mosque of Damascus
History of the Mosque
© Børre Ludvigsen, 1998
- 3000 BC
- Aramean temple to the god Hadad
- 1st century AD
- Temple to Jupiter
- Restored under Septimus Severus
- 379 AD
- Church of St. John the Baptist under the Emperor Theodosius
- South wall became mosque shared with moslems after Damascus was taken by the Arabs.
- Ummayad Caliph Al-Walid built the Great Mosque in the present shape. The Christians were compensated with four permanent church sites elswhere within the old city.
- Prayer Hall rebuild by the Ottomans after severe fire.