Al mashriq - The Levant
[Prev] [Next]

The Great 'Ummayad Mosque of Damascus

History of the Mosque


© Børre Ludvigsen, 1998


    3000 BC
    Aramean temple to the god Hadad

    1st century AD
    Temple to Jupiter

    193-211
    Restored under Septimus Severus

    379 AD
    Church of St. John the Baptist under the Emperor Theodosius

    636
    South wall became mosque shared with moslems after Damascus was taken by the Arabs.

    708-715
    Ummayad Caliph Al-Walid built the Great Mosque in the present shape. The Christians were compensated with four permanent church sites elswhere within the old city.

    1893
    Prayer Hall rebuild by the Ottomans after severe fire.

----------------

al@mashriq

990101/bl