Ad verbum: Mottatt 22.05.93. STRENGT FORTROLIG. Chairman Verbal
Message to H.E. Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- I thank you very much for the efforts and excellent facilities you
- I reaffirm my trust and confidence in your good self and Norwegian
Government as a facilitator. I am looking in due time. You will
have a direct mediator role.
- I shall be pleased to meet you next July in Tunis during your visit
- The efforts and discussions conducted under your auspices have
achieved a significant progress. Both sides need these efforts to
continue beside the negotiations, in order to overcome any further
obstacles even in the details.
- I hope that you will convey to US administration during your visit:
- The prolongation of the blockade of the P.L.O. will neither be
conducive to the peace process, nor to the US efforts.
- Our genuine intention for the achievement of just, comprehensive,
and lasting peace does not require further testing and more
- The prolongation of the closure of the O.P.T. [Occupied Palestinian
Territories] does not assist our efforts nor the peace process,
which need a suitable atmosphere of CBMs [Confident Building
Measures], to help in creating supportive public opinion.
- Facilitating the implementation of human rights issues would be
conductive to enhance the peace process. Similarly, providing
assistance to the O.P.T. is becoming urgent and
necessary. Particularly: universities, hospitals, municipalities,
trade unions, cooperatives … etc.
- Supporting this chance, no doubt support and facilitate to overcome
all difficulties and obstacles in negotiation.
- The D.O.P. is the base of real breakthrough, and a major element of
CBMs. We feel that it’s the time to approve it.
- I reconfirm to you and to the US Administration our serious
willingness to achieve real, just, lasting and comprehensive peace
that can help to create stability, cooperation, and coexistence.
- In conclusion:
- The D.O.P. that has been agreed upon, despite some reservations,
form an adequate basis for progress in the negotiations, and for
the credibility of this dependable back channel. It’s ready-made
gift to the Clinton administration from Isr. Palest. and Norway and
therefor it need this blessing, efforts and support.
- Your support as well as the US has become more necessary.
- The credibility of this channel is very important, and we will do
all possible to approve and to support that.
- Lifting the blockade on the P.L-O., the O.P.T. would help us, and
assist the effort of all parties.